Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

An Open Letter to Sony Asshole Execs

Dear assholes at Sony,
I'm sure with all the shit decisions you folks make day in and day out, I'm not the first person to address you as such. That being said, and the obvious aggression, I think it's safe to say that I have a bone to pick with you. I know that I've been other this with my slew of 21 followers (yeeeaahhhh, I may not have that much clout) but I've just got this one nagging question in the back of my mind.

Why blu ray? No, not why the format, I get the lossless audio and the high definition picture. In fact, you know how I know about those things? No, I'm not some nerd who reads Wired magazine and while it's true that I have a blu ray player (well, a PS3 that happens to be a blu ray player), that's not the reason either. It's because every time I sit down to watch a Sony issued blu ray, ya know what I get to sit through? That's right, that inane fucking ad about how blu ray is so much better and about how you should be buying blu ray instead of DVD.

Now, back when I had a DVD player (once again, an X-Box 360 that happened to function as a DVD player), it was just kinda condescending. Yeah, I get it, it's higher quality, but it's also more expensive. There were plenty of things (especially being a broke-ass college student at an art school ne less) that stopped me from getting things on blu ray. Even now, there are some things that I maintain I think look better on standard DVD than blu ray, but that's a whole other issue. I'm just sayin', it was douche-y when I couldn't afford it, to dangle it in front of my nose, but if I could, I think I'd rather go back to that.

See, here's the issue. Don't worry, I'll make it simple. I bought the PS3, right? So I now have a blu ray player. I then have gone on to purchase some blu rays, namely from your company, but what's that? Before the menu, what do I have to sit through again? That's right, why Sony blu ray is cutting edge and leading the way in motion picture technology and so on and so forth. I already caved, what else do you want? Yes, I support your company, so why with this persistent torture? Instead of being condescending, now it's just annoying and of course, it's there on every blu ray. I understand the capitalism angle, but seriously, just do everyone a solid and use a little more discretion.
Sincerely,
Yeah right, like I'm actually gonna sign my name here

No comments: