Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Luck Be a Bitch Tonight

We all have dreams of making it big. Some are more realistic than others, but the bottom line is, if somebody tells you they don't, they're probably bullshitting you. Still, in order to make it big, you either have to do one of two things; work hard or get lucky. Now, we all know it's the ultimate American turn-off in this day and age to actually work for what you get, so let's take a look at what's behind door number two, shall we?

Luck is a funny thing. Personally, I've never been one to put too much stock in luck, but then again, I've never been one too have much luck either. See, the way I see it is luck is called luck because whether it's good or it's bad, it's usually happening to someone else. Sure, there are those jackasses that claim that they're lucky and you hate 'em because you know it's the truth, but let's be real, that is a rare and elusive breed.

So my question is this; if luck is such an elusive thing (unless we're talking about bad luck, in which case you can't escape it) then why do we care so much? Is it the secret hope that next time that'll happen to us? It easily could be, but let's be honest. It's not so much that we want it to happen to us, but we don't want it to happen to somebody else. I'm not saying everyone out there is a bad person and completely selfish. I've seen plenty of examples of people's selflessness. Sure, they were usually on re-runs of "Touched By an Angel", but you get what I mean. I'm not damning the human race or condemning them which, face it, would be an easy task. I'm just looking at it from a pure odds perspective. Luck happening to somebody else is good fortune that isn't happening to you. It's understandable that someone would be pissed off about that. In fact, it'd probably be pretty normal to be bummed out about it.

And so the dysfunctional relationship with luck continues. Most people spend their lives counting the luck of themselves and others, but personally, that makes life more of a spectator sport. That's not really my thing. So my solution? I won't pretend it's eloquent or even very well thought out. My answer is to say fuck you to luck. If it comes my way? Sure, I'll be grateful for that and I definitely won't question it. Still, there's a big difference between that and waiting for it come around. I'm not gonna end on some cliche like "make your own luck" or some Chicken Soup for the Soul bullshit. Learn to live without and if it happens to come your way, don't wait too long because luck's not none to wait on too many folks.

No comments: