Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Emotional Stunting: An American Pastime

Happy 100th post everybody!!!
I'd like to return to my previous format of just writing about daily musings... sometimes it'll be about movies and other times it may be about things that most people could care less about. Use discretion when reading because I really don't feel like sorting through your bitching...

Here goes, have you ever noticed others' aggravation or frustration? Hell, even your own. It's a fact of life, sometimes something just rubs you the wrong way and it pisses you off. There's no harm in that, we're all human with a variety of complex emotions.

The trouble is, "negative" emotions (grief, anger, etc.) aren't every really afforded the complexity. They're simply bad or in some social circles "impolite" God forbid people actually emote the bad ones. But I've never really understood, what's indelicate about crying about something or getting upset? I'm obviously not advocating sobbing hysterics or hitting someone just because you're pissed, but there's got to be some middle ground.

I think the thing that I find most ridiculous is, let's be real, we all know that we all do it. Whether it be Old Yeller that sends you into sobs or some dick cutting you off in traffic that sends you over the edge, we have a right to own those emotions. Not own those emotions in a touchy-feely new age-y way, but it's true. I mean, for better or for worse, it is how we feel.

I dunno, I just don't really understand how we can just pretend like those emotions don't exist, especially when considering they're pretty much the most visceral. I'm not saying I'm only happy when I'm mad, but do I feel most alive when I'm actually pissed about something? Oh hell yeah, it makes you feel alive. Like I said, and I may be playing it safe with this one, I'm not saying everyone should be angry all of the time, but is losing your cool once really so bad? I don't think so... I mean, as long as you don't hurt anyone else, you're good with me.

But after all, I've pretty much answered my own question with that last statement. It's the "everyone else" factor. Even though we're denying ourselves, we tell ourselves that we're doing it for everyone else. Have you ever seen anything as uncomfortable as a genuine display of emotion? I'm talking about it all, the good AND the bad. It is legitimately pretty uncomfortable to see... It's just weird how we pride ourselves as humans as being capable of expressing emotions, but nobody ever seems to want to do it. God, that can't be healthy...

No comments: